Friday, May 10, 2013

Whimzical Update: International Team Tryouts


Sometimes I forget, because it’s seems like it’s been a hundred years. A lifetime spent together, a million hikes, a million nights, a million days with each other. But then I remember we are still young. We are still new to one another, still babies on course.  We haven’t quite gotten our feet beneath us, and our toes are just barely dipped into the edge of the lake.

This weekend, each time I walked to the line with Whimzy I was very aware that we were the little fish in a very big pond. Hell, I wasn’t even sure if we could swim yet. I know that Whimzy is only 2, but this weekend she wasn’t the only one on the team who was new to the game, because I’ll be the first to say I’m not a perfect handler. But I could not be more proud of how we did at tryouts. Our mistakes, our little successes, and us managing to keep it together through 5 rounds was amazingly enough a group effort the entire weekend. It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t perfect, but it taught me more about handling Whimzy then I could have ever learned in my backyard.

I’m not sure what lies ahead for us, I know we are still young and yet I feel like we are already so old. Maybe one day our runs will reflect the connection I know we have, but until then I’ll just be enjoying our messing, on the fly style kind of runs. Because I know it’s just a phase, and that this journey is just barely beginning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment