Saturday, August 13, 2011

Positively Injured?

After spending Thursday night in the ER for my foot...again (only this time it was my big toe), I am trying to be a little bit more positive about my situation. First off I am super glad I don't have a show this weekend because I would be crushed if I couldn't run, secondly I should be fine by Monday or Tuesday...I hope. Being injured and confined to my house has also given me alot of time to work on summer reading...not such a plus but it needed to get done.

Getting injured...again... really sucks, but it could have been worse, a broken bone, shattered hip, or the worst an injured dog! I find it shocking how negative people can be when little things go wrong. Especially in agility when its supposed to be about fun and doing something the dog enjoys. I hate when someone comes off a clean run moaning that their dog took to long in the weaves so they didn't get as many mach points. I know that I don't understand the process of chasing mach points, but i have run slower dogs. And I know that you should be happy with your Q and feed your dogs some treats instead of doing math! We all have issues with clean runs occasionally, but over all if it was clean and your dog did everything the way you taught them to then you should be thrilled, in my opinion anyway.

 Another one that gets me is when people blame the dog. I know we have all thought at least once "I didn't do anything wrong, the dog was just being naughty" but deep down I think we all know that if our dog did something wrong it was our fault. Or when people blame everyone except themselves. The judge, the people outside the ring, the people in the other ring, some one with a ball, they are all at fault because of where you sent the dog off course. I mean really how ridiculous can you get? The guy on the other side of the building with a dog barking caused your dog to take the wrong end of the tunnel? Placing the blame on others or the dog or being upset over a run and all of that comes back to perceiving everything as a negative. Some of my worst  runs on paper have been the best runs I have ever had. There is a positive to every run, whether it being that your dog hit its zones, made the weaves, or simply stayed with you. There is always always something positive to take away from every run, every dog, and every experience...even getting injured :P

4 comments:

  1. owww! I hope your foot feels better soon, way to keep a great attitude, I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre such a trooper! Get better soooon!

    It also bugs me that handlers are so negative. I think its horrible when the handler pulls the dog for taking wrong obstacles or knocking bars especially when its the HANDLERS FAULT. Theres this lady who has super fast Borders but cant keep up so she tries distance and directs them wrong and almost always ends up pulling them. So sad that the dog is just trying its hardest and it still gets blamed.

    I do think, though, that in some rare instances it IS the dogs fault. Idk if it happens in akc, but in nadac there are times when dogs blow off their handlers when its really obvious the handler didnt want them to take an obstacle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I feel. And it's not fair to the dog. But yeah ur right there are occasions where it's the dogs fault, I know I own a tunnel sucker ;) lol

    ReplyDelete