Competition: [kom-pi-tish-uh n]
-the act of competing, rivalry for supremacy, a prize; rivalry between two or more persons of groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser.
To each individual this word brings up a new personalized definition. Perhaps an opponent, a long time rival, a specific competitor comes to mind. I see two things when I hear “competition” : a clock and a course. Other handlers aren't my competition…they are my mentors, my teachers, my examples, my research, my friends. Although they may not realize it, they are all those things and much more. Without them I’d never push. Without them I wouldn't race against the clock. Without them I’d never strive to be better. Without them I wouldn't know what I was capable of. Without them I wouldn't have any fun competing. They are not my competition, because in my eyes no one wins and no one loses. There are no rivalries. The “object desired in common” is fun, and how do you lose at fun?
-the act of competing, rivalry for supremacy, a prize; rivalry between two or more persons of groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser.
To each individual this word brings up a new personalized definition. Perhaps an opponent, a long time rival, a specific competitor comes to mind. I see two things when I hear “competition” : a clock and a course. Other handlers aren't my competition…they are my mentors, my teachers, my examples, my research, my friends. Although they may not realize it, they are all those things and much more. Without them I’d never push. Without them I wouldn't race against the clock. Without them I’d never strive to be better. Without them I wouldn't know what I was capable of. Without them I wouldn't have any fun competing. They are not my competition, because in my eyes no one wins and no one loses. There are no rivalries. The “object desired in common” is fun, and how do you lose at fun?
I may be a competitor, but I have no competition.

Thanks Hillary :)
ReplyDelete