A negative mind will
never give you a positive result.
Negative results come from internal negativity- from nerves
and anger and hastiness. It is simple to see the difference in our dogs, in our
results.
While teaching I have the ultimate pleasure of annoying dogs
and handlers with distractions until we hit a breaking point. Break it to fix
it, an easy way to improve. But often I find that the behaviors are not externally
caused, but are entirely an emotional response. A nervous handler produces a dog
pushed to edgy, anxious, restless and uneasy. They can hear our emotions in our
voice, in the way we move; too nervous, too angry, too excited- before we step
to the line we’ve already NQ’d.
We have a rule in my house- if you’re not in the mood to
play, don’t play. There is true value in agility to being happy- all it takes
is a deep breath and a smile.
Deep breathing has calming effects- your body receives more
oxygen, your heartbeat is lowered, and stress is reduced. Smiling has a happy
effect- your body releases endorphin and serotonin just from a simple smile.
I am the first to say that when I was younger I was not the
best competitor…my first step to fixing this was with a smile. I smiled for
agility, for my dog. Even if I didn’t
feel like smiling, I smiled. Even if I felt beyond frustrated and disappointed,
I really tried to smile. I taught myself to not get mad- what a horrid feeling
mad is during agility... it is negative, it is stagnant and it does not help. Agility
requires calm and happy to move forward, to learn. You don’t have to burst into
song after every run or party after an NQ- but there is value in a laugh at
yourself, a smile and a deep breath.
Here we find the balance between outrageous and doubtful. Being
so jazzed up you can barely think straight is just as detrimental as doubting
your performance of every obstacle. There is a place for each of us in calm-
the mental state where both the positive and negative are in clear focus.
The other day we ran a Sascha Grunder course in preparation for
tryouts. A late front cross, a wide turn, an almost off course- I stopped
running here…this was not the run I wanted, not the run I walked. I took a breath and smiled, I clapped for my
girl- she got treats and praise and I got a second chance at the sequence I
flubbed. Practice makes perfect- not just for agility, but also for mentality.
I am still learning, still practicing this aspect of a mental game. In a state
of frustration I know I am unable to assess my mistakes, but taking a moment to
save the experience makes the difference. Positive results flow from positive
thinking- learning needs to be a positive experience. A bigger send and a
better collection cue fixed my poor handling- we learned, we were happy, we
were successful.
Take a breath. Take a smile. Take the experience for all it is worth.

I will try to remind myself of that, every time I go out there with my dog:)
ReplyDeleteLaugh. Hug your dog and remind them they are the most brilliant, most amazing canine in the world. Think about your day job, commuting, the world...and realize the worst run is still better than pretty much anything else.
ReplyDelete