Monday, October 21, 2013

The Magic of Evaporation

How heavy is a glass of water?
This question does not rely on the actual weight of the water, the answer lies within time. The longer you hold the glass of water the heavier it will appear; holding the glass for a minute is no problem, but hold it for a few hours or a day? The glass of water will seem much heavier and put more strain on you.

Like that cup of water, the weight of stress bares down harder the longer you hold onto it. Recently I've found myself holding a glass, okay more like lugging around a bucket, of absolutely uncontrollable stress. The kind of pressure life throws at you when it wants you to get your ass moving now, and yet, I, like many I'm sure, have simply been staring at all that water thinking about how I wish someone would just pull the plug so it would all just spiral away; out of sight, out of mind, right? But the drain is clogged full of worries and over thought thoughts... unfortunately I know no plumbers for this particular type of situation. Trying to get things done while holding a glass of water is rather impossible, you see. It spills, distracts you, consumes your attention, and causes the glass to over flow with worrying about those worries in the cup swirling dangerously close to the lip.

Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.


Life demands constant motion, standing still simply get's you nowhere. Point is, for progress forward motion is required, but I've found I can't run forward while trying to balance that bucket. As much as I'd be thrilled to just dump out the water and sail away hakuna matata style, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep my head above water in that sort of situation. Simply setting the water down, placing the worries aside does, however, allow for improvement. We all know water is an important part of survival, likewise, stress is an important part of life. But you wouldn't throw yourself into the deep end simply because you were thirsty, would you? I find taking a sip of stress is enough to get me moving, but I leave the glass behind. 

It's funny, I tend to find that if I just leave the water alone, it disappears all on its own. 

2 comments: